Many people choose to celebrate the holidays by decorating the interior and exterior of their homes with a variety of different lighting options. Here are a few tips to ensure any extra lighting you put up is done safely.
- Only purchase UL-listed lights and extension cords.
- If you are decorating outdoors use products that are rated for outdoor use.
- Before placing your lights (inside or outside) inspect them for any damage that may have occurred in storage.
- Unplug lights before you change bulbs.
- If you need to get on a ladder to hang lights, try to use a wooden or fibreglass-reinforced plastic one instead of a metal one.
- Do not connect too many strings of lights together. The general rule is 3, but check with the packaging.
- Do not overload extension cords or sockets.
- Check your lights every now and then and make sure the wires are not warm to the touch.
Always turn off your lights before going to bed or leaving the house. This is a big one that many of us are guilty of. You spend all that time decorating and you want to show it off. We understand! But we also would hate for you to return home to a fire or wake up to one
And on that note, while your playing with all the lights and extension cords, keep an eye out for signs of problems with your wiring, such as the 5 listed below!
5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Residential Electrical Wiring
Flickering lights and piles of extension cords are more than inconvenient, they are signs that your electrical wiring may need an upgrade. Faulty wiring is a leading cause of house fires, but by watching for signs of trouble and getting service promptly, you can help keep your home safe. Contact a electrician if you notice any of these five signs it's time to replace your residential electrical wiring.
Too Many Extension Cords
Extension cords running throughout your home create a number of potential problems. They are a trip hazard and can pinch, bend, or short out from the wear and tear. This can result in tripped breakers, damaged outlets, or even fires.
Unusual Smells from Electrical Wiring
Electrical outlets, breaker panels, and fuse boxes should never produce odd smells. If you notice an unusual smell coming from one of these items, unplug everything right away and call a electrician.
Light fixtures usually require a small amount of power, so flickering or dimming is usually a problem with the wiring rather than the unit itself. The electrical wiring may not be maintaining a consistent flow of electricity or another appliance may be pulling too much power from the circuit.
Sparking or Buzzing Residential Electrical Wiring
Sparks or a buzzing sound coming from outlets, appliances, or breaker panels are a bad sign. Use extreme caution if you notice sparks or buzzing, and contact an electrician immediately.
Hot Switch Plates or Outlets
Outlets and switch plates should not be hot to the touch. If you notice an outlet is hot, it may be wired improperly and needs attention.
Contact a Calgary Electrician
If you notice any of the above signs of faulty wiring, contact an electrician right away. They can inspect your residential electrical wiring and upgrade it as needed to keep your home's wiring safe and functional.
If you are looking for a reputable electrician and a deal, consider checking out the partners in the Best My Nest program offered by us through CIR.
Original article by CIRMarketing...