Many people choose to celebrate the holidays by decorating the interior and exterior of their homes with a variety of different lighting options. Here are a few tips to ensure any extra lighting you put up is done safely.
- Only purchase UL-listed lights and extension cords.
- If you are decorating outdoors use products that are rated for outdoor use.
- Before placing your lights (inside or outside) inspect them for any damage that may have occurred in storage.
- Unplug lights before you change bulbs.
- If you need to get on a ladder to hang lights, try to use a wooden or fibreglass-reinforced plastic one instead of a metal one.
- Do not connect too many strings of lights together. The general rule is 3, but check with the packaging.